Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Upstairs Bathroom Renovation, part 4: the fun bit

I'm happy to report that we have found someone to do the plumbing, electrical work, and the tiling. He was recommended by a friend and his estimate was exactly what I thought was reasonable. But now that means I need to get all the bits and pieces so that we can do the work! (I say 'we' because actually I'm doing a lot of bits and bobs, like the faux wainscoting, putting up the wallpaper, hanging the curtain rails, etc etc.

But getting the stuff means making decisions! Decisions I've been pondering for over two years! And can you believe - I've decided? Mostly...

First of all, the floor tiles. I've decided to go with a large, black, matte hexagonal floor tile and black grout. Kind of like these, (but with black grout, like in the one on the right):



For the tub surround, I'm going with a smaller marble hexagon shaped tile, but with a spin! I'm going to go for GOLD GROUT. Now, there are glitter additives you can get for grout, but I think I'm actually going to paint the grout and seal it. OR - I might go with the gold glitter additive AND paint it gold, then seal it. There are epoxy products that I am also going to look into. It will have the grout effect of the photo on the left with the tiles on the right:

The rest of the room, which will feature a solid colour for the bottom 120cm of the wall and wallpaper from 120cm to the ceiling, has yet to be decided but I have seriously narrowed it down! 

Here are my top contenders for wallpaper:
Option 1
I love the variety of colours in Option 1, and it's bright and vibrant, but still has a touch of black to tie in with the black floors and fixtures.

Option 2
Right now, I am just in LOVE with Option 2. Some say it's too dark, but I'm not afraid of dark. I think it would look amazing above either a dark burgundy or a dark green colour.

Option 3
I'm always a fan of pink and green together, and I think it would look look great next to the marble. I also like how there is both green and a blue-green in the pattern.

Option 4
I like Option 4, but unless it's amazing in person, I can't imagine it beating out all of the other options. Still, I was curious enough to order a sample.

Option 5
I like this for a lot of the same reasons I like Option 3. I like the colours, the pattern, and the brightness of it.

Option 6
This is obviously the same as Option 4, but with a white background.

Option 7
Option 7 is a bit of a wild card, and would be an entirely different vibe altogether, but I love art deco and I  was curious about this one. I imagine it will be a bit too busy in the end.

What do you think? What's your favourite? Or are there other options you think I should consider?




  

No comments:

Post a Comment