Tuesday, June 14, 2011

In an effort to make more frequent (but sadly briefer) updates, here I am, popping in real quick to comment on two shows I went to in the past week. The first was a "Frighten the Horses" event at Block T in Smithfield (a nice easy walk from our house) featuring Ophelia MC, a really impressive rapper, local group FELCH, a band from Berlin called Koolthing, and Brooklyn band MEN, which features JD Samson of Le Tigre fame.

I got the MEN album a few days prior to the show and listen to it about 20 times, so I was well pumped for the show. Unfortulately we missed the first band, FELCH. Ophelia MC was on when we arrived and she has mad skills! But the sound at Block T was inexcusably horrible. Unfortunately things did not improve with Koolthing, and once MEN came on, it was downright embarrassing. They nearly cut the set about two or three songs in, but as it was they only played for 30 minutes or so. The crowd was kind of oblivious to their own personal space, so I was (even more than usual) bounced around like a pinball all night, which made me pretty grouchy. Anyhoo - here's a little MEN video:


Last night we ventured to the Grand Social for D.R.I. (Dirty Rotten Imbeciles), an American punk band from the 80s. They hadn't played in Ireland for 22 years! The show was 90% dudes but I really enjoyed the show. Of course I didn't venture into the circle pit, but everyone there was really nice and respectful. Mark had a grand old time getting pummeled in the pit. Here's a youtube video of the show, for anyone interested:

No comments:

Post a Comment