Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Bedroom refresh: the big reveal!

 Back in February, anticipating having to spend a lot more time in my bedroom, I posted plans for a little bedroom spruce-up. And for the past seven months or so, I've been slowly working away at it. The pandemic put a bit of a monkey wrench in my plans at the start, since IKEA was closed and they weren't delivering large items. And then building the cabinets, attaching the legs, securing everything to the wall, painting, organising the insides, and sealing the finish was a pretty long process. All worth it, I think! 

First, the desk area:

Before
After



















I finally managed to get into an IKEA and buy the IVAR cabinets I needed. I bought legs online. Here's how it looks with the doors closed:
     
Before
 
After



















Inside, I created a vanity area on the left and shoe storage on the right. I placed the extension lead where the TV, DVD player, Dyson, and vanity light plug in underneath so I could access all the plugs. I left one for my hairdryer, which is stored in that picnic basket up above :)
     
Vanity
 
Hidden Shoe Storage




















I did a slight whitewash treatment to the upper cabinets to get rid of the yellow tone of the pine wood and added copper knobs. As you can see, I painted the lower half of the wall to match the cabinets, and extended it around the corner and painted the laundry basket and stool to match (sadly, I couldn't paint the Dyson air purifier, or else I would have!).

I decided to give the bland white wardrobe a bit of an update, and covered it in wallpaper to coordinate with the walls and cabinets. I used double stick tape layered over masking tape, so everything is completely reversible if I ever get sick of it. 

And finally, the bed area got a makeover, though I did change my plans and decided that a shiplap wall would be expensive and time consuming, not to mention a two-man job. First, I bought myself a new headboard, which made a huge difference straight away. I painted behind the headboard a terracotta colour and then decided to top it with a little archway for the drawing up above. I thought I might run a little shelf across, but I might just keep it simple and leave it like this. 

The old black Billy bookcases got covered in wallpaper to brighten them up a bit, and the base of the bed got covered in faux grasscloth peel and stick wallpaper. Voila!

     
Before
After




















Of course, there are still some details left, such as a new rug and a makeover for the other wardrobe. Overall, I'm very pleased with how it came out, and I was able to do some reorganising and clearing out at the same time, so this can truly be a peaceful space to spend my days...and nights!


No comments:

Post a Comment