Saturday, October 17, 2009

The other day I saw something new. I was at the bus stop, waiting in front of somewhat heavy traffic when an ambulance went by. I noticed that the young woman standing next to me was giving herself the sign of the cross. Then another ambulance went by and she did it again. That's when I looked up and saw a guy in the van on the street in front of me crossing himself too, and then another person in another car too. To me, this is such an emblem of how religious people in Ireland can be. But also, maybe, how superstitious.

4 comments:

  1. I was on the bus one day and noticed that some people will cross themselves when they pass a Catholic church. I have never seen that before! I've also never seen the ambulance thing, but I'll keep an eye out for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mention it, I saw that once too! It was a teenage boy walking alone past St. James' Church. I wonder if it's considered bad luck *not* to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everything's bad luck to a Catholic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my boyfriend keeps telling me that dublin isnt that religious anymore. i think he's full of crap! and what you mention here just cements it :) i still cant wait to visit in december... i'll just have to try and not stare at folks crossing themselves!

    ReplyDelete