Tuesday, February 1, 2011

New Blog!

No, I'm definitely not giving up this blog!

But I have started a new blog, another project entirely. Letters to Sal is a sort of history project, if you will, which uses letters as the jumping off point:

"Salvatore George Coraccio (1930-2010) was in the US Navy from 1948 to 1952. A few days before he passed away, a bundle of letters surfaced that had been sent to him during that time. This blog is about those letters and what they reveal about Sal as a young man in the post-WWII/Korean War era.

The letters also tell a story about the women in his life, for the words are theirs. Through their letters we see what life was like for a young person living in the Boston area sixty years ago."

Believe me when I say there is some high drama in these letters. I intend to try to contextualize the characters, events, and places mentioned in them, revealing not only the stories of my father and his friends but also life the Boston area during that time. My ultimate goal would be to find out more about the people in the letters, and it would be a dream come true to discover the responses my father wrote to these letters. So if you love to read old letters or have an interest in New England history, or if you just like a mystery, please subscribe to Letters to Sal.

No comments:

Post a Comment