Friday, April 5, 2019

Upstairs Bathroom Renovation, part 3: a conundrum!


Well, I thought I was so clever yesterday sourcing all those taps. Turns out I'm not as clever as I thought! So the cool bath tap image I posted in part 2 was actually a basin tap, so my first challenge was to find the bath tap version. But then I got to thinking about the basin taps I had chosen and I thought jeez if I'm going to all this effort, should I not get ones that match? That sent me on a search for this set, which I am in love with. However, as you'll see, they aren't cheap.
Basin mixer 1: €148 x2 = €296

Bath mixer 1: €193 (10% off with tub)





So, these are the taps I would buy if money was no object, totalling nearly €500. Basically, the only reason they are so expensive is the black finish. That same basin mixer is on ebay in chrome for about €25 -- in other words, the black version is nearly six times more money!

WHICH GOT ME TO THINKING...fuck that. I can DIY this too. A bit of sandpaper, some automotive primer, and some black matte spray paint and I'll be sorted! In case you think I'm nuts, I did do some research and I know that it can be done. It would save me over 300.

about €25 x2 = €50
about €100




But then there's a new conundrum if I go this direction! You see, my plan had been to go through the expense of bumping out the wall so I could have the wall mounted bath tap. But if I go with a painted chrome mixer, then there's an option which would allow me to avoid that expense. But I'd have to compromise on the cool sleek design for this, which is about €80:

Of course, you have to visualise this black. It sort of matches the basin taps better, but ... am I right in saying it's not anywhere near as cool? But I was thinking well jesus if you're going to give up on the wall mounted bath mixer, then maybe I should quit being so stubborn and consider other options. 

For example, this combo, coming in at €220:
About €52 x2 = €104
About €112
 But... I really just am not very excited about those, honestly. And then there's this combo for 220:

About €81
About €70 x2 = €140

With this one, I still have the expense of the wall mounted taps. I am also not psyched on these.

So I guess I'm leaning towards going with the basin mixers I really want in chrome and painting them black. But as for the bath, I really don't know which way to go. If I go with a tub-mounted tap I will be saving money in two ways, so it's hard to turn down. But I just absolutely LOVE that wall-mounted set!

What do you think I should do? And please don't say to give up on black taps!

UPDATE! I found an inexpensive version of the wall-mounted bath taps that I wanted! So... now the real question is... one of three choices. Do I buy the expensive version of the basin taps I want, do I buy the chrome version and paint them, or do I go with the basin tap I posted in part 2? Here are the choices, for your review:
296 for two
50 for two
72 for two























No comments:

Post a Comment