Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Upstairs Bathroom Renovation, part 5: decisions were made

As we get closer to starting work on our bathroom, I am happy to report that I have BOUGHT SOME THINGS. And some of them have arrived! It's all very exciting. I also changed my mind on something I thought I was sure about, which goes to show you need to be flexible sometimes.
Here's a visual for you!

I was pretty overwhelmed with the electric shower options, to be honest. You can spend as little as 80 euro on an electric shower and as much as 400. And almost every shower at every price point had a good handful of negative reviews, which didn't help my decision. I hadn't intended to get a black one, but as it happens the one I wanted was available in black, so why not? It was the Triton Pello. The tub and basins are ordered- they're pretty basic so I'll leave them for later.

The bath and basin taps arrived from ebay, and they look exactly as I hoped! And when the wallpaper samples arrived, I put them up on the wall. There were some I really loved, but in the end it was this dark floral that really captured us. However, I quickly realised that my marble wasn't going to look nice next to it. I had gotten a sample, and when I held it up next to the wallpaper, it was too cool-toned. Then I remembered this amazing Mexican tile I'd gotten a sample of a couple of years ago from a place in London. And sure enough, it goes perfectly with the orangey yellows in the floral. We both loved it. So that was that decision made.

I'm still very committed to the large black hexagons for the floors, though. It was a real pain to find the size I was looking for, but I finally found a place in Cork who sells them and will ship them to me. I must have sent messages to every tile place in Ireland!

I'm not sure which colour to paint the lower part of the walls, but I've a bit of time to decide. I extracted a couple of samples that might be nice -- there are so many rich colours to choose from that I don't think we can go wrong.

This weekend I managed to strip almost all the paint off of the dresser for the double sinks. I need to remove a bit more varnish, sand it down, and re-stain it, but the really messy bit is done now. I'll post before and after photos when I'm done. 

But it's really happening! Getting ready in the morning is going to be so much more enjoyable when it's done.


No comments:

Post a Comment