Wednesday, March 18, 2009

People in Boston think that the Saint Patrick's Day celebrations are a big deal, but I have to say that comparing the footage from the celebrations here in Dublin, it's like comparing a backyard Barbecue to a Gala Ball.

Here's The Slideshow of the St. Patrick's Day Parade in South Boston, held, I might add, on March 15th. The caption reads, "The 2009 St. Patrick’s Day Parade in South Boston featured bagpipes, Fox commentator Bill O’Reilly, Star Wars storm troopers, gunplay and St. Patty himself." Wow. That's pretty extravagant. I don't know how anyone could top bagpipes and Bill O'Reilly (and here I thought they were one and the same).

Here's A Slideshow of the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin, and here's a Flickr set of someone attending the parade.

I think the photos say it all. Compare:
This:

(photo courtesy of the Boston Phoenix)
To this:

(photo courtesy of DSB on Flickr)

(photo courtesy of the Irish Independent)

We watched the world premier of Simpsons go to Ireland episode last night. I thought it was very entertaining, especially given all the funny misconceptions Americans have about Ireland that I've recently learned are not true. I had a few good laughs and recommend that my friends back home watch it when it comes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment